Elon Musk’s Tesla, founded in 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning with its name ‘Tesla’ being a tribute to Nikola Tesla, an electrical engineer, and inventor, has the attention of the world as its a beacon in the electric car and automobile industry as a whole. An advantage of electric vehicles (EV) is the reduction of carbon emission in the atmosphere, which directly impacts a positive environmental shift and helps the planet.
Tesla cars boast of being environmentally friendly alongside a long-lasting battery life (8 years with a range of 160,000 miles) and speed.
In October 2021, Tesla moved to the African continent by installing 4150KW Supercharging stations at the Tangier AI Houara Hilton Resort and the Onomo Hotel in Casablanca, Morocco. This move is usually the first step taken by Tesla before the rollout of vehicles into the market and establishing showrooms and service centers as it promotes a sense of demand.
Although Tesla has yet to enter the Nigerian market officially, individuals with the means have imported Tesla vehicles into the country. Without service centers and supercharging stations, these individuals may face charging and connectivity issues, which will inadvertently come at a cost. Nigerians have often commented about the country’s lack of infrastructure for electric cars. Contrary to this, Tesla cars have been spotted an alarming number of times on Nigerian roads.
Not considering this additional cost caused by the unavailability of the Tesla brand in Nigeria, let’s evaluate the cost of Tesla cars in Nigeria.
Tesla cars are manufactured and assembled in the company’s factory in Fremont, California, and some of the models are Model S, Model Y, Model X, and Model 3. Do keep reading for more information on each model and its prices in Nigeria.
The Tesla Model S is a luxury vehicle with an outstanding performance rating; it comes in three types: Long-range trim, Performance trim, and Plaid trim. With a cargo capacity of 8 cu ft, the Model S boasts a stunning interior design that features a panoramic glass roof, a rearview camera, and a 17-inch touch-screen infotainment system. It also has an 11-speaker stereo, satellite radio, wireless device charging, two USB ports, Bluetooth, and a Wi-Fi hotspot. Compared with fuel-powered cars that have to be revved and gradually gain momentum, the Tesla Model S packs exhilarating speed and energy right from the get-go.
Features specific to the Model S type cars are in-built safety systems such as automatic emergency braking, front and side collision warnings for the long-range trim type, and an improved autopilot that offers driver assistance for performance-type cars.
The long-range trim type can garner an acceleration of 0-60 mph in 3.7s, a top speed at 155mph, and an estimated range of 412miles. The performance Model S has an even travel of 0-60mph at 2.4s, and the Plaid Model S has an astonishing top speed of 200mph and a consistent travel of 0-60mph at 1.99s.
The prices of Tesla Model S cars in Nigeria are:
- Tesla Model S Long Range 2020: ₦33 million – ₦38.4 million
- Tesla Model S Long Range 2022: ₦37.9 million – ₦41.2 million
- Tesla Model S Long Range Plus 2021: ₦28.6 million – ₦32 million
- Tesla Model S Performance 2020: ₦41.2 million – ₦44.8 million
- Tesla Model S Performance 2021: ₦37.9 million – ₦40.5 million
- Tesla Model S Plaid 2021: ₦49.5 million – ₦54 million
- Tesla Model S Plaid 2022: ₦54.5 million – ₦60 million
- Tesla Model S Plaid Plus 2021: ₦58.8 million – ₦62 million
Tesla Model Y is a plush performance type car. The model Y boasts a 76 cu ft cargo space and a dual motor all-wheel drive. It accelerates 0.60mph at 3.5s and can travel up to 330 miles on a single charge at full cargo (7 passengers and their cargo).
Prices of Tesla Model Y cars in Nigeria are:
- Tesla Model Y Long Range 2021: ₦20.6 million – ₦22.7 million
- Tesla Model Y Long Range 2022: ₦22.7 million – ₦26 million
- Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD 2021: ₦20.6 million – ₦25.3 million
- Tesla Model Y Performance 2021: ₦24.7 million – ₦28 million
- Tesla Model Y Performance 2022: ₦26 million – ₦30 million
- Tesla Model Y Standard Range 2021: ₦17.3 million – ₦22 million
- Tesla Model Y Standard Range 2022: ₦17.3 million – ₦21.4 million
The Tesla Model X is long-range with a top speed of 15mph and can travel an estimated distance of 333miles while the Model X plaid can travel 348 miles on a single charge. The dual-motor all-wheel drive of the Tesla Model X has an acceleration of 0-60 mph in 3.8s and 2.5s for Model X plaid. The spacious Model X has a sitting capacity for seven individuals and cargo space of 88cu ft.
Prices for Model X-type cars in Nigeria are:
- Tesla Model X Long Range 2020: ₦35.1 million – ₦40 million
- Tesla Model X Long Range 2021: ₦41.2 million – ₦44.5 million
- Tesla Model X Long Range 2022: ₦41.2 million – ₦45 million
- Tesla Model X Long Range Plus 2021: ₦33 million – ₦36 million
- Tesla Model X Performance 2020: ₦43.3 million – ₦47 million
- Tesla Model X Performance 2021: ₦41.2 million – ₦46 million
- Tesla Model X Plaid 2021: ₦49.5 million – ₦52 million
- Tesla Model X Plaid 2022: ₦50 million – ₦53.3 million
The Tesla Model 3 is a sleek luxury sedan with a state-of-the-art interior design. With a dual all-wheel drive and a mileage of 315 miles per single charge, It packs acceleration of 0.60mph at 3.1s and a top speed of 162mph for the performance trim and 0.60mph at 4.2secs for the Long Range trim.
Prices of Tesla Model 3 cars in Nigeria are:
- Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2020: ₦18.3 million – ₦21.6 million
- Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2021: ₦19.4 million – ₦23.4 million
- Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2022: ₦19.8 million – ₦22.5 million
- Tesla Model 3 Performance 2020: ₦21.8 million – ₦23.2 million
- Tesla Model 3 Performance 2021: ₦22.7 million – ₦25.7 million
- Tesla Model 3 Performance 2022: ₦23.5 million – ₦26 million
- Tesla Model 3 Standard Pluss 2022: ₦18.1 million – ₦20 million
- Tesla Model 3 Standard Range 2022: ₦17.3 million – ₦22.1 million
- Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus 2020: ₦15 million – ₦17.3 million
- Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus 2021: ₦15.6 million – ₦18.2 million
Note that these prices are subject to change due to various factors that affect both the brand and the country.
Tesla cars are currently the most popular electric cars, and the extent of the technological advancement of their features is jaw-dropping. These cars will reduce the money spent on gas and maintenance while saving the planet. Although there is only a tiny percentage in Nigeria, it is a speculation that Tesla will move to countries with a good number of their products that individuals have imported because it means there would most likely be demand for them. So if you can afford the luxury, why not hasten the process of TeslaxNigeria?