Renault has halted production at one of its French factories, following a court order criticizing the approach the automaker informed unions about its increased protective measures put in place to prevent the coronavirus from spreading.
Partial activity had resumed at the automaker’s Sandouville plant at the end of last month after a six-week standstill due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
“All activity in the site of Sandouville has stopped as of May 7 and this will last until further notice,” a Renault spokeswoman said, confirming an earlier AFP report.
Renault will appeal the judicial decision, the spokeswoman said.
The court order follows a case brought by the local section of the CGT union.
Renault will add production of a Mitsubishi-branded version to be exported to Australia and New Zealand.
The factory has a workforce of 1,900.