The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has disclosed that it had directed power distribution companies not to revert to the September 1 service reflective tariff.

The Chairman of NERC, James Momoh, said Discos had been asked to abide by the latest directive from the Federal Government which suspended the implementation of the new electricity tariffs for one more week.

The government had earlier on September 28 postponed the take-off date of the tariffs by two weeks after it held a meeting with the organised labour, which was opposed to the hikes in petrol and electricity prices.

But on Sunday during a meeting between the Federal Government team led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, and the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, a new decision to further suspend the tariff for one more week was reached.

READ ALSO: Egbin Power to promote use of electric vehicles in Nigeria

Momoh said the earlier two-week suspension order elapsed at midnight on October 11 but noted that the commission asked the Discos to obey the latest decision.

“We have communicated that decision to the Discos without writing a new order,” he told our correspondent in Abuja.

“We are extending that two weeks that was over by midnight yesterday (Monday) and we have told the Discos not to switch back to anything, rather they should stay action for the next one week,” he added.

Leave a Reply